Can I recover compensation for losing my job due to a car accident?

On Behalf of | May 18, 2021 | Personal Injury

A car accident can change your life in many ways, especially if you suffer a serious injury that requires a long recovery. It is common to have to miss some work due to an accident, but your employer may not be happy. It is possible, you may even lose your job as a result.

You may wonder if you can seek compensation from the negligent party who caused the accident for the loss of employment. According to FindLaw, you may be able to include this in your personal injury claim.

Reason for loss

You will have to show a direct link between your job loss and the accident. This can be tricky if you have a history of attendance issues. It will help if your employer writes a letter explaining the reason for your termination.

It is also important that you show solid medical evidence that your injuries from the accident made it so you could not return to work or do your job duties.

Your actions

You also must show the court that you tried to find new employment. If your doctor says you can work, you need to be looking for a job. Even if you have restrictions, you need to try to become employed. If you fail to do this, the court will likely limit any compensation you receive for your job loss.


The court will typically allow you to claim damages for lost wages for the time you had to take off of work due to your injuries. In the case of job loss, the court will consider the impact of your injuries on the termination to determine if you should receive compensation for future lost wages. The damages you receive greatly depend on how you present your case.